The DC-4 1009 was produced at the Douglas Aircraft Company plant at Santa Monica, California.
The aircraft was delivered to South African Airways on the 10th of May 1946 and registered ZS-AUB and named “Outeniqua”.
An American crew delivered the aircraft and arrived at Palmietfontein Airport on the 16th of May 1946.
The aircraft has eight fuel tanks and was often used to ferry engines and engine change crews to SAA aircraft that had suffered engine failures.
This aircraft was the last SAA DC-4 to be sold going to the SAAF on the 29th of September 1967 and allocated the tail number 6905 and operated by 44 Squadron.
South African Airways bought the aircraft in December 1995 to operate with the Historic Flight and registered it ZS-AUB. On 16 December 1995 Captain Flippie Vermeulen, Captain Johan Dries and Flight Engineer Officer Alf Mairs flew the delivery flight of ZS-AUB from Waterkloof to Jan Smuts, the aircraft was still in SAAF colours.
During May 1997 the DC-4 was wet-leased to Swissair and briefly registered HB-ILI and later ZU-ILI and was used to celebrate Swissair’s 50th Anniversary of the crossing the Atlantic. Four Atlantic crossings, in Swiss Air colours, in 1997 with ZS-AUB.